In April 2023, Key Media & Research (KMR), a leading news source from the glass industry, reported that commercial glass and glazing-related spending has increased by 22% every year. Moreover, these numbers are set to increase in future, because the demand for glass structures are increasing. Earlier, glass was perceived as only a medium for letting light in a working space. However, today, glass structures are perceived as a statement of style and expression of elegance.
Have you ever wondered how these glass structures look so impressive and maintain their structural integrity? If the answer is yes, perhaps you haven’t heard of aluminum profiles. These profiles help glazing contractors, designers, and architects build functional and stunning glass structures that stand out in terms of structural integrity, aesthetic appeal, and design flexibility. You may ask why aluminum profiles are preferred. This post explores top seven benefits of using aluminum profiles in the glass and glazing industry.
7 Reasons for Using Aluminum in the Glass and Glazing Industry
Aluminum has been hailed as the “wonder metal” due to its physical and elemental properties. The following features make aluminum a perfect choice in the glass and glazing industry.
- Strength: Aluminum has a tensile strength of 276 MPa, and its strength-to-weight ratio is ~99. Thus, profiles made of aluminum exhibit impressive strength-to-weight ratios, which makes them an ideal choice for supporting glass structures.
- Lightweight: With a specific density of 2.81g/cm3, aluminum is one of the lightweight materials around. Aluminum profiles are lightweight, which makes them ideal for the glass facades of office skyscrapers. Architects and designers find it more convenient to work with aluminum profiles due to their lightweight composition.
- Design Flexibility: Aluminum is malleable and ductile and can be easily formed into any desired shape, without losing its strength or integrity. No wonder aluminum profiles are available in various shapes, sizes, and finishes, which enable architects to achieve their creative vision. Whether it's sleek and minimalist or intricate and ornamental, aluminum profiles can bring architectural concepts to life.
- Corrosion Resistance: Aluminum forms a layer of aluminum oxide when it comes in contact with air. This oxide layer makes them corrosion-resistant, so they won’t be affected by cleaning products or acid rain. Unlike PVC-U frames, aluminum frames will not warp, swell, crack or damage in the long run, even if exposed to bad weather. The corrosion resistance of aluminum profiles are further enhanced by powder coating or anodizing.
- Sustainable Choice: Aluminum profiles are more sustainable than many metal profiles you see today. Aluminum profiles can last 40-45 years when used in glass skyscrapers. Aluminum can withstand most challenging environmental conditions and does not disintegrate at high temperatures. In addition, aluminum is a highly recyclable material, meaning that it can be repeatedly recycled without compromising its properties. Choosing aluminum profiles promotes circular economic principles and reduces the environmental impact of the glass and glazing industry. Additionally, the energy-efficient nature of aluminum contributes to reducing overall energy consumption in buildings.
- Versatility: Aluminum profiles are successfully used in various glass and glazing applications, including showers, doors, windows, curtain walls, glass partitions, and store fronts. They can be easily customized to accommodate different glass shapes, thicknesses, and sizes.
- Thermal Performance: Energy efficiency has emerged as a key requirement in energy-conscious buildings. To meet this requirement, the thermal efficiency of aluminum profiles is enhanced through insulation or by the addition of thermal breaks. This helps enhance the overall energy efficiency of the glass system, while minimizing the heat transfer. Improved thermal efficiency also means reduced heating and cooling costs.
Orange Aluminum: Shaping the Future of the Glass and Glazing Industry with Custom Aluminum Profiles.
As the glass and glazing industry continues to innovate, grow, and push boundaries, aluminum profiles will remain a vital component. Architects, designers, and glazing contractors can unlock a world of endless possibilities by utilizing the highest quality aluminum products offered by Orange Aluminum. We have over 1000 SKUS in stock and ready to ship. If our stock aluminum profiles are not what you are looking for, we can help you through the process to create a custom extrusion, custom fabrication, and custom finishing that will certainly meet your project needs. Contact us today or visit our site www.orangealuminum.com to get started!